Foundational Leadership Program
The Biological Sciences Division (BSD) Foundational Leadership program focuses on building essential leadership skills, which includes giving effective feedback, identifying the needs and expectations of stakeholders, enhancing stakeholder engagement, developing emotional intelligence and managing during change. The program sets a foundation for excellence in research, teaching and patient care. Each session is faciliated by a faculty leader and an executive staff member in the BSD. The course requires committing to attend 2 full days of training. Details are below.
Who is invited to particpate?
- Faculty leaders. All BSD faculty are invited to participate including leaders of research, clinical and educational programs (e.g. chairs, section chiefs, residency, fellowship and graduate program leaders, emerging leaders and those who lead a research laboratory)
- Clinical leaders; research program / center / institute leaders
- BSD staff in supervisory roles (e.g. Executive Administrators, Section Administrators, HR / Academic affairs professionals, Directors, Finance managers, Graduate program administrators, those who manage clinical or laboratory operations, IT managers, and emerging staff leaders)
Experience to date: Over 130 faculty and BSD executive staff have participated since the program began in Spring 2015.
Cost: Free to participants
Upcoming Programs: Responses were overwhelmingly positive and the program will be offered again in the Autumn 2017 and Winter 2018 quarters on the following dates from 8:30 A.M. - 4:30 P.M. CLICK HERE to register.
- October 9 and October 10, 2017 (Monday & Tuesday)
- November 27 and November 28, 2017 (Monday & Tuesday)
- December 11 and December 12, 2017 (Monday & Tuesday)
- February 8 and February 9, 2018 (Thursday & Friday)
- February 15 and February 16, 2018 (Thursday & Friday)
- March 1 and March 2, 2018 (Thursday & Friday)
Questions may be directed to email@example.com.
- Deborah Burnet, MD, General Medicine Chief & Medicine Vice-Chair for Faculty Development
- Patti Kucek, Training and Education Manager, University of Chicago Physicians Group
- Hannah Lawrence, Assistant Dean for Faculty Advancement & Diversity
- Gerard Mikols, Associate Dean for Medical Education, Pritzker School of Medicine
- Tipu Puri, MD, PhD, Associate Professor of Medicine, section of Nephrology
- Sara Saathoff, Assistant Dean and Executive Director, BSD Human Resources
- Sandy Valaitis, MD, Professor and Chief, Section of Gynecology/Reconstructive Pelvic Surgery